Monday, March 8, 2010

Another (Mail)Day

After a homework filled weekend, I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and blog about my passion, baseball. Today and Saturday, I got envelopes post marked from Orlando, FL, which only means one thing: A Braves Spring Training TTM. Saturday's envelope contained this:

Jeff Lyman

A Jeff Lyman 2005 Bowman Chrome Rookie Card. I've been holding on to this card for two years now hoping to get it signed in person, but never had the opportunity while he was with the Mississippi or Gwinnett Braves. So since he is now on the 40 man roster, the card was sent to the Braves spring training complex at Disney. I thought about sending it before, but I backed off because of two reasons:
1. I really prefer to get minor league autographs in person.
2. My confidence in minor league clubhouse attendants is not very high.

With that being said, I'm glad I finally got his autograph. Jeff is a pitcher in the Braves minor league system, and I've seen him pitch a few times, including a start, when he's came to town to face Southern League rivals the Birmingham Barons or the Montgomery Biscuits. Now that he's on the 40 man roster, I hope to see him in Atlanta someday soon.

As for Today, 3/8/10, I received this:
James Parr
2009 Topps James Parr (Rookie Card) Not truly a rookie card, but whatever floats MLBP boat. Similar story behind this card as the Jeff Lyman card earlier, never got the chance to get him to sign it in person, so I sent it to the Disney complex.

James is also on the 40 man roster for the Braves, but unlike Lyman, he has had a cup of coffee in the majors. His MLB debut came in late 2008 against the Washington Nationals. In his start, he pitched 6 innings, gave up 2 hits, and allowed no runs on his way to his first win.

While neither autographs are cornerstones to a collection, they represent what I like most in baseball: watching players develop their way through the minors and eventually getting their shot in the majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment