Thursday, March 11, 2010

More Than I Bargined For?

Anyone who sends out cards to be signed through-the-mail knows never to mail anything in the mail you can't live without. Well, unfortunately, one or more Todd Redmond fans learned might have learned that the hard way, as not only did I receive back the card I sent him, but three others signed and one unsigned. Here's a look at two of the cards:

Todd Redmond 2007 Bowman Chrome Rookie Card
Todd Redmond
Todd Redmond 2007 Bowman Heritage Rookie Card
Todd Redmond

I didn't scan them all, as the extra two signed cards are the same as the above. For now, I have one of the Heritage cards spoken for(I had one signed a few years ago when I was lacking a Chrome card) but I might give away the others and keep one Chrome in my collection.

Anyway, Todd Redmond is a favorite farmhand of mine. Acquired in 2008 by the Braves in a Spring Training trade, he was shipped from the Pirates for righty reliever Tyler Yates. If I recall correctly, Yates was out of minor league options and was in danger of being the odd man out of the Braves bullpen. Enter Mr. Redmond.

I think the first time I saw Todd pitch was in the Southern League playoffs in 2008. That night, he pitched 8 scoreless innings in the first round of the playoffs against the Birmingham Barons. It was great to see post-season baseball again, as I haven't seen a MLB playoff game since 2005. The Mississippi Braves would go on to win that series and the next to become the 2008 Southern League Champions. He would also be named 2008 Pitcher of the Year by the Southern League. To top off these honors, he was named AA Braves pitcher of the year for their 2008 Minor League Awards Day.

2009 was not a kind year to Todd in the minors, but he did receive the honor of representing the United States in the 2009 in the World Cup of baseball. He shined with 3 wins and 17 strikeouts in route to the USA winning the World Cup.

Now, he is currently a part of the Atlanta Braves 40 Man roster. Hopefully, he'll bring good luck to the Braves this year in the form of a 2010 World Series. Seriously, 2008 - SL Champs, 2009 - World Cup Champs, 2010 World Series Champs. That'd be an impressive resume, whether or not he is a key player.

No comments:

Post a Comment