Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hello Old Friend

Everyone has there first favorite player. Typically, the one you like above all when you first start taking your sport of choice seriously. Sometimes its a very established player that has been around for a while, other times it can be a younger player breaking through. For me, it was the latter.

I seriously started following baseball on a daily basis in 2005. I had watched baseball off and on throughout childhood, as my granddad was a big Braves fan, and went to games a few times a year, but baseball wasn't a part of my nightly routine. In 2005, something about the Braves youth movement, dubbed the "Baby Braves," got me really excited about baseball. During this time, a lot of fans were drawn into two players particularly: Brian McCann and Jeff Francoeur.

From 2005-2009, Jeff Francoeur was my player. I'm sure some of you have seen my Jeff Francoeur collection and I'm sure some of you also know I was obsessed. Even through the struggles in 2008 and 2009, I was still a fan. I might have defended him a bit to much, but it still annoys me to see some of the bashing from a portion of Braves fans. It seems some that still trash him even though he's gone might have been bought into the hype and got burned when he didn't live up to expectations.

All that being said, I'm still a fan, just not to the extent I was. Why? Because I have to say, favorite player or not, I'm a bigger fan of the name on the front of the jersey, opposed to the name on the back.

However, I still respect what he did for Atlanta, and most importantly, making me into the baseball fan I am. So, here it is, my TTM from Mr. Francoeur:

Jeff Francoeur

2010 Spring Training TTM Success 6 of 20.
Scan Courtesy of Photobucket.com/atlantabraves

No comments:

Post a Comment